But, on August 24, things turned a little crazy for us. Marc was getting ready to leave for 10 days to the Phillipines (for work) and so I got off work early and we went to pick up Madden from the sitter so we could spend some time together as a family. We picked him up....he seemed fine....and brought him home. I put him on the floor when we got home and he couldn't crawl. He would try....but couldn't...and he was crying. SOMETHING was wrong! We watched him for a bit....my mind was racing at the many horrific things that could be wrong....and I called our sitter to see if anything happened today that could've caused him not to crawl. She said he had been fine all day. Hmmm.....I called the pediatrician and they said to come immediately. While we waited for the doctor, Marc and I further assessed the situation and it seemed he was not able to put pressure on his left arm. He also could not hold a sippy cup with that arm. The doctor looked him over and sent us to the hospital for X-rays. He did not think it was broken....but thought he may have 'nurse-maid elbow' where the elbow hyperextends and is sore for a few days. So, we headed next door to the hospital for X-rays. Here we are...
X-rays on a 13 months old is fun....NOT! Marc was chosen to hold Madden down on the table and I stood and watched....while Madden screamed! It was fast and we on our way. Our pediatrician said he would call that night if it was broken. We went home and did our usual nightly routine....and no call from the doctor. Madden slept through the night.
The next morning, Marc was to leave for the Phillipines, so we were up early and ready to go to DFW to drop him off. Madden was still not putting pressure on his left arm. I planned to take Marc to the airport and then call the doctor. Well, on the way to DFW, our pedi called and said it was BROKEN. He had a fracture on his humerous bone....upper arm near the elbow. He had an appointment with an orthopedist at Children's for 1:00.
With MANY tears, we took Marc to the airport. It was very hard for both of us under the circumstances. Then I scrambled to pick up X-rays, paperwork, etc. and get downtown for our appointment. Marc's mom and my sister in law came with me....thank goodness!! At Children's we had more X-rays, questions, met the doctor, etc. He said it was a clean break and should heal nicely. We got a cast (a blue one!) and were on our way.
The cast was on for 4 weeks. That first week was a blur. Marc was gone....my mom came....I was an emotional rollercoaster. Here my 13 month old BABY had a full arm cast on and NO ONE seemed to know how it happened!! My mom stayed for 3 weeks and was such a blessing to me during that time. She watched Madden during the day, so I could go to work. I think she enjoyed her time with Madden since she rarely got to spend more than a quick weekend with him!
Over the course of the 4 weeks, Madden adapted to the cast very well. The first week, he didn't hardly use that arm.....but by the 4th week, he used it all the time. He managed to crawl with the cast....but also starting WALKING!! That was the silver lining in this whole saga. He used his fingers to eat, which created a lovely smell by the end....and some nice 'treasures' once the cast was removed. :)
The cast came off last week. Of course, he didn't like the process of getting it off, but he has hardly noticed it is gone. The doctor said his arm has healed nicely and he will be fine.
If a broken bone at 13 months old is any indication of what the future holds for this child, this mama has a long road ahead! I have heard to be ready for blood, stitches and broken bones with BOYS....but I never thought it would be this soon!











Thanks for sharing that Maria. I can't imagine not knowing how he did it or having my hubby gone during the 1st part of dealing with it! Wow. I had no idea y'all went through all that. Isn't it true??! At this young of an age- we have a lot to look forward to as mothers of these wildly, wonderful little boys. :)
ReplyDelete-Sarah