Thursday, March 22, 2012

Our Anti-Climatic First Trip To The ER





Well, we can check our first ER visit off the list for Madden! Sure wasn't what I expected to be his first, but I guess I am glad it wasn't for anything major.










Here's the story:










Madden had a cough for several days. I just thought it was allergy and have been giving him benedryl. He'd been acting fine. Last night, I gave him benedryl at bedtime and noticed he was wheezing, so I gave him a breathing treatment and put him in bed. He started coughing....a lot. So, I sent Marc up to give him a drink. After about 10 minutes, Marc yelled for me. Madden had thrown up and was coughing so much he couldn't get a breath.










We watched this for about 30 minutes....trying to get him to calm down and breathe. We have a Pulse/Oximeter machine, so we checked his O2 levels and it was at 84 (supposed to be in the high 90's). So, I called the pediatrician.










The on call doc said it sounded like he was having an asthma attack and we needed to take him to the ER.










Really?










So, we load up and go to the "doctor". First, I said "hospital" and Madden freaked, so we changed it to the "doctor". We pulled up to the hospital and Madden said "I don't want to go here to the hospital!" I explained to him that 'this part wasn't the hospital, this was the doctor part'. Ha! He loves to drive by the fire station, hospital, etc.....but is actually terrified of ever having to go IN.










We get in and his coughing/breathing started to improve....of course. We get checked in and his O2 levels are at 98.










We question if we should just leave. But, we stayed.










Ended up doing X-rays 3 times. Fluid on left lung. Mild pneumonia/brochitis. Madden did great.










He finally fell asleep on the hospital bed around midnight. We got an antibiotic and left around 1am. He slept great and has been getting better each day.










Expensive trip for an asthma attack if you ask me! But, we'd do anything for our boy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment