Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Transitioning Daycare

May 3 - a day I had been dreading, but knew was coming. This was the day that Madden was to start a NEW daycare school.

We had been SO blessed to have had him at Miss Heidi's house since September (when the broken arm incident happened). Miss Heidi usually only keeps her babies until 18 months (which was in January for Madden), but I asked if she would keep him a little longer. I knew the transition would be hard on him and I just wasn't quite ready for him to be at a "school". She agreed and we decided we would make the transition on May 3.

April came and it was becoming clearer to both of us that Madden was more than ready to be at a school - with activities, a schedule, friends, etc. But I knew it would still be hard.

Madden is like his mom and dad. He's like Marc in that he doesn't like "strangers" and he's like me in that he doesn't like change. So, school was going to be BOTH - strangers and change!

Miss Heidi's house has been a wonderful place for him to be loved, nurtured and cared for. She was diligent in writing down what he ate, when he ate, diapers......and always shared about their day when I picked him up. I loved knowing he was in a Christian home with a loving mom who would care for him as her own. We are definitely going to miss her!

So, May 3rd came. We arrived at school and Madden certainly didn't know what was about to happen. I had been advised to drop him off and leave. The more I lingered, the worse it would be. So, that is what I did. I dropped him off and he screamed "Mama, Mama" and I made a b-line to my car, so I could cry too! I cried all the way to work. It just broke my heart to have to leave him in a place that was not familiar. I didn't want him to be scared.

He had a good first day - and first week. We all made it through. Each day was rough at drop off, but pick up was the highlight. Marc's phrase is "I want to be the HERO {the one who picks up} instead of the ZERO {the one who drops off}.

Each day is getting better. He still cries at drop off.....but instead of starting in the parking lot, it starts at the front door.

I still miss Miss Heidi. I miss her detailed notes and conversations about the day. I miss the one on one attention Madden used to get. I miss the lengthy naps Madden used to take at her house. Now he is just another kid in a class of 11. They can't give detailed reports on each one and he doesn't get that one on one attention and he is not sleeping well on his cot at naptime.

But, he's growing up. He's learning new things. He's bringing home "artwork". This is a good thing for him. I just *KNOW* he is going to LOVE it....

........eventually.




No comments:

Post a Comment